Nov 27 2008
Julie is the proprietor of Phoenix, a well-known Chicago Chinese restaurant, located not far from Manny’s, Barack Obama’s favorite deli. Manny’s corned beef sandwiches are legendary. Julie has devised the perfect use for left-over corned beef or pastrami.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 pound diced thin sliced corned beef
1/4 pound diced thin sliced pastrami
2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
2 eggs, beaten
4 scallions, chopped
½ cup petite peas
½ cup diced celery
3 cups cooked white jasmine rice, cooled
- 1. Combine 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 2 Tablespoons water with the beaten eggs.
2. In a non-stick omelette pan make very thin egg crepes, and slice the crepes into small pieces. Set aside.
3. Heat a non-stick wok over high heat.
4. Add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the wok.
5. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
6. Add the meat and stir-fry for another 1 minute.
7. Add the scallions, eggs, peas and celery and cook quickly about 30 seconds.
8. Add the rice and toss until the ingredients are combined well and the rice is heated through.
9. Season to taste with the salt and white pepper.