Jun 28 2009
This delicious potato latkes recipe was adapted from the Food Network Kitchens.
- For the Chunky 5-spice Applesauce:
6 MacIntosh or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon apple cider
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
For the Latkes:
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
1/2 pound parsnips, peeled
¼ cup flour
2 large eggs
¼ cup vegetable oil
- For the applesauce:
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the apples, lemon juice, apple cider, lemon zest, 5-spice powder and brown sugar and stir to mix well.
Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until apples begin to break down, but are still chunky.
Remove from heat and cool.
For the latkes:
- In a food processor, using the grating disk, grate the sweet potatoes and the parsnips.
- Combine potatoes and parsnip in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and toss to combine.
- Add flour and stir to distribute evenly.
- Add eggs and stir well.
- In a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Form the potato mixture into 3-inch latkes that are about ½ inch thick.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate and season with salt.
- Repeat this procedure with all of the potato/parsnip mixture, adding more oil as necessary.
- Serve with the apple sauce.