Dec 18 2009
This delicious recipe comes courtesy of Manischewitz and Jacques Pepin.
- 1 cup mix of pitted olives, black oil-cured olives, Kalamata olives, and green olives
1 small garlic clove, peeled and sliced
2 dried apricot halves, cut into small pieces
1 ½ teaspoons drained capers
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 6 ounces each
3 tablespoons good olive oil
½ spoon salt, plus extra to taste
½ n freshly ground black pepper, plus extra to taste
1 ½ cups baby Bella mushrooms, washed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup Manischewitz Chicken Broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or parsley
For the tapenade:
- Put all the tapenade ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse to make a coarse puree. Cut a horizontal slit in each chicken breast to create a pocket, and stuff with the tapenade. Set aside until serving time.
- When ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, and when hot, season the stuffed breasts with ½ spoon each salt and pepper, and arrange them side by side in the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat, covered, for about 3 minutes on each side, and then transfer to a platter, and keep warm in the 180-degree oven. Add the mushrooms and onion to the skillet, and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the Manischewitz Chicken Broth, and reduce the contents by boiling for 2 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve a chicken breast on each of four hot plates, and add any juice that has accumulated around them on the platter to the mushroom sauce in the pan. Divide the mushrooms and sauce among the servings, spooning it over the chicken breasts, and sprinkle the parsley or chives on top. Serve.
Yield: 4 servings